Author Topic: Swing Axle Nose Cone  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Thomas

Swing Axle Nose Cone
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:37:56 AM »
I'm installing a late model swing axle trans into my 58 Beetle and have a question about the nose cone. I read some older posts on this topic but just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track. Here is a picture of the old nose cone.

And here is the new one.

From what I can understand I would want to install a nose cone from a bus like this one from CIP.
VWC-211-301-205-H - TRANSMISSION NOSE CONE - BUS 60-67 (USES HOCKEY STICK VWC-113-311-541)
Does the one for a bus have the insides like the one off the new trans but has the mounting points of the old one?
Thanks Tom
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:45:45 AM by Thomas »
58 Beetle

Offline Hansk

Re: Swing Axle Nose Cone
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »
Yup , your on the right track  .  One very important point though ,  you see that small step around the inside of the area that holds the brearing on the late nose cone ? Notice the early nose cone does not have it and I'm not sure if the repo t2 nose cones have it or not.  You will either have to make some clearance there your self on the early style nose cone or use one of these http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C12%2D5058%2D10  , other wise that area of an early nose cone will press up against the plastic cage in the bearing on the late trans and destroy it within about 100 feet of driving.
Big fat black fastback