Author Topic: What now?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
What now?
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:16:44 PM »
So I'm having clutch/ pressure plate issues with my bus and have tried everything I can think of.  I couple weeks ago I took out my throw out bearing in my bus so I pulled the motor.  I ended up replacing the clutch cross shaft, as well as the bushings, clips and what not.  Also put in a new German throw out bearing, and retaining clips.  Went to put the motor back in and noticed that I had been running the wrong pressure plate.  (Likely the cause of my grief in the first place).  Well it just so happened that I had a proper  (German Sachs) pressure plate in my inventory (attached to a single port 1600).  Well off it comes, I inspect it and install it but leave the existing clutch plate in (lots of life left and no signs of bad wear)  I installed the motor on Thursday and immediately notice that the clutch pedal now seems extremely stiff. (like 5 tonne truck stiff).  The clutch seems to be working fine other than that so I decide to give it a test run to work on Friday.  Well starting it at work to come home was a surprise as the clutch was dragging when I turned it over but I got it running and took it home.  I should mention that I had NO free play at this time.

When I get home I dove under the bus to see if I could adjust the clutch but there was NO WAY it was moving.  Out came the motor this afternoon, I take another look at everything, pull the P. Plate and compare it to the one I had taken off (the incorrect brazilian finger style one which shifted smoothly) and come to the conclusion that perhaps the shift arm was dragging on the pressure plate.

Well after reinstalling, testing, trying to adjust again, pulling the motor out, backing the clutch completely off and reinstalling the motor later I still don't have the answer.  I took out the free play on the clutch pedal to a respectful amount (about and inch) and press on the clutch.  It's still really stiff and I still can't shift smoothly.  I can drive the bus now as it isn't grinding but it still seems as if there is a bit of drag with the clutch to the floor.

I'll be ordering a new pressure plate come Monday and going from there I suppose?  Everything was working/ feeling fine before this happened so I don't suspect the bowden tube but what do you think?
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline dannyboy

Re: What now?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:19:42 PM »
could you post a pic of the pressure plate/ t.o. bearing/ and shaft?