Author Topic: Lots of trouble with seats 72 std beetle ... ?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline seancanfixit

Lots of trouble with seats 72 std beetle ... ?
« on: May 27, 2010, 03:49:59 PM »
Hopefully this helps, I think that I must be having a brain-fart and completely missing the obvious, but I cannot get the front seats into my 72 std.  They are the style with the two side rails, and the notched "fingers" on the inside.  The seats match, as they have accomodating slots for the rails and the lever which lowers the mating fingers into the ones on the rail.  The seats however did not come from this car.  I can identify how they will work once in place, but have tried fighting the seats on from the front...rail hits up against the back of the lever mount on seat and stops everything, from the back...seats just pile-up into the floorboards on either side and get stuck, prying, hammering, and they will not go in.  If anyone can offer insight, I would greatly appreciate it, as this is the last piece of my build...from the body up, and I can't wait to driver her.  Thanks in advance.
1973 Standard Beetle Project car - Still Kickin' it Old School!

Offline Bruce

Re: Lots of trouble with seats 72 std beetle ... ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:50:13 PM »
I think the only seats that will fit your 72 are ones from either a 71 or a 72.  Sounds like you have earlier seats.

Offline seancanfixit

Re: Lots of trouble with seats 72 std beetle ... ?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:05:42 AM »
almost certain they are the right seats, they are out of a 72, and are high backs with the proper vinyl pattern and layout for the year, I don't know if it is possible, but if anyone has a picture of the 71-72 floorpan and seat arrangement, please post it.  If all else fails, I will post some pictures of what I have tommorrow in hopes of some progress.  Thanks
1973 Standard Beetle Project car - Still Kickin' it Old School!