Author Topic: heat in a ac vw?  (Read 2840 times)

Offline purple turd

heat in a ac vw?
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:30:56 PM »
so do factory heater boxes produce enough heat to keep windows defrosted & warm inside? ive never been in a vw with factory heater still operational. 1972 bug

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Re: heat in a ac vw?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:54:31 PM »
Yes, they will keep you warm. No, they will not defrost the windows. I've found that I can't have all the windows up on the highway because it just gets too hot, but the added benefit is having a window open helps keep the front window fog-free along with the fresh air vents. If you have an excessive amount of moisture in the car however, it's a losing battle.
Jason Hamilton

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 05:43:17 PM »
I have a 73 Standard beetle with the stock air heating system and it works just fine.  I have owned this one for close to 17 years and it has been driven year round for most of that time - at least once a week in winter.  For the last six years it has sat outside as well.  Other than 4 snow tires for winter, along with regular maintenance, I don't do anything special.

There is plenty of heat and I have no difficulty defogging/defrosting the windows.  The car is pretty air tight so the key is to open the no-draft windows slightly to assist with the air movement, particularly at start up.  I have driven it in -10C.   weather.  It doesn't get much colder here in Pitt Meadows - very damp though.  It is plenty warm and all windows remain clear at that temp.  Any slight misting that might appear disappears quickly.  The heater system works as good as the day it was made.

I have one other small addition and that is the fresh air box with the 2 speed fan.  The fan helps with air movement in both cold and warm weather when required.  This one came from a 76 Deluxe and it is pretty much a bolt in.  Fan switch goes in the upper dash in the vacant spot.  I have a rear window defogger as well but don't use it much.  They never worked that quickly like the new ones do.  I have no difficulty keeping the rear window clear in any event.  I find the stock exhaust produces the best heat as well. 

I have a late model BN2 gas heater that I always intended to install and I have found there is no need for it.  It would certainly extend the season in my buggy however.  So maybe??

So the question is - how intact and functioning is your heater system?  Drafts?  Water leaks?  Thermostat installed and working?

Oh, one other thing - current odometer reading 59,779 original miles.

Hope this answers your question.

Offline purple turd

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 07:58:28 AM »
i think so. im looking at buying a bug to drive this winter & just need confidence that aircooled heater is as good or better than any other watercooled vehicle.

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:40:10 AM »
I neglected to mention that as far as I know, this beetle spent a good part of its life in the Kelowna area.

With respect to the question of air cooled heat vs water cooled heat and comparing this 73 to the 4 water cooled VW's that I have owned, the water cooled ones win, hands down.  The colder it gets, the better the water cooled ones perform - faster, better distributed and more consistent heat.  A well functioning gas heater does even the odds however.  We have another 73 here with a gas heater and when it was driven daily in its first 20 years of life, we never wanted for more heat.  It worked well!!

As well and to Jason H's comments; the chances of finding an old beetle with a well performing heater might be difficult as well.  Mine is probably the exception.

Good hunting nonetheless.  Oh , and by the way if you can find a Mk2 Golf or Jetta in good shape - best winter car ever from my perspective.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 04:27:37 PM »
........that aircooled heater is as good or better than any other watercooled vehicle.
Don't kid yourself.  A Bug will never approach the interior heating of a modern watercooled car.

In order for a Bug to heat well, you have to be making hp.  if you're just putting around town, you'll freeze.  Get out on the highway, you get some decent heat, but if you slow down for bumper-bumper traffic, all that heat is gone.

If you have a drafty car due to an ill fitting front hood, the heater won't do well then either.

If you are looking for heaterboxes, beware, there are many different types for a Bug.  The first ones to stay away from have a smaller outlet tube.  Those are for 40hp cars, and they don't fit the tubes in later cars.
Some people have been brainwashed to think that Danish made Dansk brand heaterboxes are the same as genuine VW.  Not even close.  

The worst heaterboxes are the "lightweight" "racing" heaterboxes.  It's just a J-tube inside the shroud.  They work well in Mexico, where VW installed them on new Beetles, but they might as well not exist if you have them here.

The Dansk heaterboxes are the same J-tube type as the lightweight ones, but they have some cooling fins cast from alum around them.  You can see this casting when you look in the fresh air inlet hole.

The top of the heap are the GENUINE VW heaterboxes.  From the outside you might think there's a simple J-tube inside.  Not so.  The cross section of the pipe that the exhaust gasses flow through is more like a figure 8, but instead of just two bumps, there's at least 4.  The purpose is to increase the surface area inside the pipe to draw as much heat out of the exhaust.  Then, cast around this is much more effective, deeper cooling fins from aluminum.  There's so much aluminum used, it protrudes from the shroud on both ends to maximize the effect.  If you want these genuine heaterboxes, you have to hunt the swap meets down south.  I've never seen one here, they all rotted out decades ago.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 04:38:30 PM by Bruce »

Offline purple turd

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 05:03:45 PM »
as much as thats crappy for me me, its what i needed to find out. id like to find a beater jetta or something but am not having much luck. i thought i might be ok with early 70"s super i can get cheap but the heating issue spooks me a bit. it will be pretty much an in town winter car

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 07:14:46 PM »
OE boxes are the best, My 69 hannover was really good all last year in the snow and winter,
Sealed exhaust and knowing when to use your vents, I had great defrost and decent heat, NOWHERE NEAR A NEW CAR MIND YOU.
But not half bad, I would get up and let her warm up and she was great.
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline purple turd

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 10:27:46 PM »
im giving up on the air cooled idea for winter. thanks for the input. i did find a 1989 jetta....only bad thing is its a turbo diesel  { still probably not winter friendly} i may just buy it anyway. i cant bring myself to drive my new mustang gt this winter & the dunebuggy could be kinda cold too