Author Topic: Title search?  (Read 2883 times)

Offline HotSauce

Title search?
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:34:36 PM »
I've got the car i've got the tag and i don't have the papers, what do i do? The previous owners have moved and i have no way of getting hold of them anymore. Hell i don't even know his name can some one point me in the right direction?
Luke I had your father

Offline notchback

Re: Title search?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »
Go to your local autoplan agent and have them look up the last known owner and you will have to send a double registered letter to them
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Offline Bruce

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »
Pretty sure an Autoplan agent isn't gonna give out that info.  Probably have to go to a proper motor vehicles office and make a formal written declaration.

Offline notchback

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 12:07:54 AM »
That's how I got paperwork for my 54
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Offline Alp

• I’m not your type. I’m not inflatable.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:13:37 PM »
go to North Van ICBC.   Pay $7 (might be more now).  They will provide address etc.

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
  • Still searching....1972 Single or Double Cab
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:50:38 PM »
I went through this process several years ago. In a "nut shell" I would follow the instructions provided by ICBC.

http://www.icbc.com/cs/Satellite?c=ICBC_FAQ_C&cid=1225925939954&pagename=ICBC%2FICBC_FAQ_C%2Ficbc_FAQQuestion&proxied=true#1225925939954

Once the attached form on the website is submitted along with a $7 cheque, ICBC will eventually provide you with information on the last registered owner. The information provided will be accompanied with very specific instructions. Make sure you follow them. This will involve sending a double registered letter, which will result in it either being accepted or returned. Once again depending on the situation there are very specific instructions. In my case the owner was still at the address, which added a layer of complexity. Nonetheless, I followed the instructions and with the cooperation of the last registered owner I was able to register the car in my name.

Make sure you keep all documentation as you work through this process. Also if you are unfortunate and do get a response from the last registered owner. I would recommend going to Metrotown (if you are local) as they have a Notary and ICBC agent side by side.

The whole process took about 5-6 and $400 to complete.

It appears as your biggest challenge will be the lack of a "bill of sale", as this is required.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!!
1958 deluxe Beetle (project in progress)

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline number3

• Rob Frose
    • http://www.avrparts.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:26:30 AM »
I went through this process several years ago. In a "nut shell" I would follow the instructions provided by ICBC.

http://www.icbc.com/cs/Satellite?c=ICBC_FAQ_C&cid=1225925939954&pagename=ICBC%2FICBC_FAQ_C%2Ficbc_FAQQuestion&proxied=true#1225925939954

Once the attached form on the website is submitted along with a $7 cheque, ICBC will eventually provide you with information on the last registered owner. The information provided will be accompanied with very specific instructions. Make sure you follow them. This will involve sending a double registered letter, which will result in it either being accepted or returned. Once again depending on the situation there are very specific instructions. In my case the owner was still at the address, which added a layer of complexity. Nonetheless, I followed the instructions and with the cooperation of the last registered owner I was able to register the car in my name.

Make sure you keep all documentation as you work through this process. Also if you are unfortunate and do get a response from the last registered owner. I would recommend going to Metrotown (if you are local) as they have a Notary and ICBC agent side by side.

The whole process took about 5-6 and $400 to complete.

It appears as your biggest challenge will be the lack of a "bill of sale", as this is required.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!!

I totally agree accept for the dollar amount.  The last one I did was in spring 2010.  Owner no longer lived at the address which made it easier. Paid $7.00 to ICBC, Double registered mail $15.00 (approx), notarized letter $25.00 and then the $35.00 to the autoplan agent for registration.  If you have no bill of sale there is a provision for another notarized letter.   Maybe things are cheaper in Chilliwack. ;D