Author Topic: car/ bus tranny swap  (Read 1994 times)

Offline jeff450x

car/ bus tranny swap
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:40:48 AM »
would i be able to swap a bus 3 rib into a existing bug irs set up in a sand rail and still use the car axles and brakes or would i need to change everything to a bus setup?

thanks..

Offline Bruce

Re: car/ bus tranny swap
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 10:27:53 AM »
Besides the mounts for the gearbox, you'll also have to get shorter axles.  The Bus 'box is wider.  Also, if you're currently using Bug CV joints, you'll need bigger Bus CVs.  Recommended is to upgrade the outer CVs too.  To get stub axles that take Bus CVs, get the stubs from an early 944/924.

Offline jeff450x

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:04:33 AM »
thanks for the info..

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 02:38:34 PM »
I'm running an 002 in my rail - 15 5/8" axles, Thing cv's and stubs.  Stock IRS trailing arms.  I am using short torsion bars from a swing axle to aleviate the tire clearance issue with the  longer IRS torsion bars and end cap.  Spring plates are up one notch from stock and give about 17 degrees of axle angle which is right at max for bus cv's but under for the thing cv's.  I was trying to work with as many stock parts as possible.  Stock brakes.

You will also need to address the shifter location as the 002 shift rod sits higher than the bug.  My rail already had a shift box welded in so I used the aluminum drop adapter to get the rod down to align with the shifter box.  There are other ways but this works for me. 

I also have a handbrake lever (Mk II Golf lever and mount) in front of the shifter that works much like a bus handbrake.  I like having a handbrake on any vehicle I drive and this setup utilizes stock length handbrake cables.  Mine is street legal so the handbrake was mandatory.

Offline GRK

• http://
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:30:23 PM »
I am running a 3 rib bus in my rail with bug irs torsion. I have longer 3x3 arms so I am running bus axles and have bus cv's on both ends of axles. Are you going to beef up the arms or are they stock? If stock  box them or go bigger! Bigger/ longer arms = nicer ride,more travel and less carnage :-\ my 2c what do you have for brakes? Go to discs if you have the $ steering brake works way better!

Gary