Author Topic: Looking for a good Inspection shop in Vancouver  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Rithmik

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Looking for a good Inspection shop in Vancouver
« on: May 10, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »
Hi all!

I'm looking for a honest inspection garage in Vancouver that is friendly to the VW bugs.

I drove a 99' beetle from Mexico after my university exchange last year and successfully imported it using a broker.  It's been a long process since then for me as I've learned and repaired a few things on there that needed doing, and building a modest collection of tools from scratch.  All this while finishing my degree.  This is my first car (ever!) and I only have the provincial inspection left to complete before I can finally enjoy it.

I'm looking for a place that won't request me to do any unnecessary work since am funding this on my student funding that I've carefully been frugal with.  It's been hard working on this since ICBC won't give permits for unregistered vehicles unless it's going for an inspection, not even to a garage. 

I took it to a place yesterday but the ICBC system was down online so we couldn't complete the check.  He did look at it for a second anyway and just started listing things why it would fail - the first one being when he looked at the dash that it didn't have heaters to defrost the windows, which I then informed him that these cars do have heaters. He told me to return when I fixed some issues and tidied up the wires, but I am afraid he'll just find something else later on anyway when he does the full inspection and raises the car.

At this point, I am also starting to feel quite discouraged and run-down from this whole process.

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Re: Looking for a good Inspection shop in Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:19:16 PM »
Where are you located?
brian waz

Offline Rithmik

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 12:30:54 AM »
I'm in Vancouver proper.  The car is kept at the moment in a garage in Jericho that I'm renting for parking.  I'm currently crashing at a friend's in the West End.

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:41:21 PM »
http://www.rudyandpetermotors.com/

Rudy and Peter motors know volkswagens, so they aren't going to be surprised by the rats-nest of wirings in front of the dash. The cars left the factory that way. I have friends who get their cars serviced there who say they are fair and honest. No personal connection to them, outside of dashing in for fuel line every once and while when I forget to order it.

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »
not sure if they can do provincial inspections or not, although I back Dave's comments totally, get my Rabbit, and kids golf and passat worked on there when it's beyond our knowledge. If you want to cross the bridge to North Van, Two Brothers have done one for me in past. http://www.twobrothersautomotive.ca/
brian waz

Offline Rithmik

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 12:43:42 AM »
I called Rudy and Peter's and they said they don't service the old aircooled cars anymore and haven't for 7 or 8 years now.  They also don't do inspections but they said they usually just refer people to the garage behind them, Gord's Auto repair. I called them up and they seemed reasonable about it although never having done a car like mine before.  I also talked to Axle Alley and the guy was very welcoming to me and enthusiastic about testing my car, although I've read you can rack up quite the surprise on your bill there so maybe somebody has an experience to share from there.  I'll look into Two Brothers, thanks!

Offline Bruce

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »
  I've read you can rack up quite the surprise on your bill there ...
An inspection should be a fixed cost, and the shop should tell you in advance what the fee is. 
The inspection doesn't include repairs.  I'd be very wary of a shop that gives you a long list of "necessary" repairs.

Offline Deacon Blues

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
http://www.rudyandpetermotors.com/

Rudy and Peter motors know volkswagens, so they aren't going to be surprised by the rats-nest of wirings in front of the dash. The cars left the factory that way. I have friends who get their cars serviced there who say they are fair and honest. No personal connection to them, outside of dashing in for fuel line every once and while when I forget to order it.

-Dave

Rudy and Peter Motors-that brings back memories.  I had them do the service and repairs to my 1970 Beetle way back in the 70s when I was going to UBC.