Author Topic: Small motor setup?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline josh

Small motor setup?
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »
Building a 1776 for the buggy and looking for some advise....

Smallest motor I've built is a 2017  :noob: total budget build, not wanting to snowball into full blown bolt on show $$$$$$$$$!

I have:

mag case freshly cut for 90.5s
New mahle p&c set
Stock crank and rods
Stock cam
34 Pict 3 stock carb
Stock valve dual port heads (gonna give manifolds and heads a quick fluff)

Need some lifters and that's about it

Question is how will this thing be with the stock carb? I'm not looking to break any records or necks with this thing just want a cruiser for the summer then flip...
Really tryin not to have to spend $4-500 on carbs, need a cam to go with, then ratio rockers, then this and that inbetween ya know
Any mods to push more fuel though this little single choker of a carb?
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: Small motor setup?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 07:47:14 AM »
In my Manx I built something close but with a 100 cam and ndix carb, it runs very strong for a little engine. The stock carb will work just fine on there as it will with a 100 also. There are jets available if you feel it needs a little more fuel but in stock form it will be just fine.

Offline josh

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »
Sweet! I was looking at the w100 Since I need lifters and have to do a break in anyway. What brand lifters did you use Geoff? Where sells bigger jets for stock stuff?
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Darren

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:34:12 PM »
I would leave a stock cam in it if you want to use a stock carb.....  Last year I built a 1776 with a 110 cam it it and it ran terrible even with brand new pair of dual 34's on it.    Put A pair of 36 dells on it and it ran beautiful.
The cams have too much duration for the little carbs to work properly.

Best bang for the buck on litters are the CB ones.

I am also having good luck with the Engle cams and their new matching litters. But CIP is currently out of those litters

Cheers