Author Topic: Turn signal relay  (Read 2964 times)

Offline moejean

Turn signal relay
« on: April 09, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »
My turn signals stopped working and I need some help in locating where the relay is. My car is a 1969 Beetle AutoStick. Any help with wiring would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Moe

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
Re: Turn signal relay
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 11:14:14 AM »
From the samba:

Depends on what your chassis number is on a 1968. They changed the wiring of the turn signal system in mid-year. Chassis number 118 381 366 was the last of the early style.

I take it by flashers you mean both the turn signals AND the emergency flashers, right?

Early models used the infamous "black box" that combined all the turn signal and E-flasher relays functions together. If neither works, you need to check your wiring to that black box. Diagram here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_6869.jpg

Late models went to a simpler flasher relay with a more complicated E-flasher switch. These later ones, the E-flasher switch often falls apart, and when that happens neither the turn signals or the emergency flasher will work. If they fall apart, and none of the pieces get lost, sometimes you can reassemble them and use a small zip-tie to hold them together. But usually it's best to buy a new switch (although they are kind of expensive.)

Late model wiring diagrams don't exist specifically for mid-68 thru 69. The 1970 diagram is similar though:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_7071.jpg

...I have a few of the earlier black boxes if you find you need one.

-Dave
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:29:05 AM by owdlvr »
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline moejean

Re: Turn signal relay
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »
Thanks for your help, Dave. I have the black box with four pins. Someone had connected the dash indicator light to one of the signal contacts and it worked fine. I bought a three pin relay from AVR today and installed it and the signals and indicator light work fine. Never thought to try the four way flashers but they should work as well. My car is a "survivor" with 65,000 miles and I am the second owner. I bought it from an estate sale here in Chilliwack. It was driven by a lady school teacher. I had considered selling it but when I see it in my garage sitting there so pretty I change my mind.
Take care
Moe