Author Topic: Paint Question  (Read 1349 times)

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Paint Question
« on: June 27, 2004, 09:25:32 PM »
this question is for the painters .most german cars come with the inners painted the body colour with no clear like under the hood and carpets etc.just the base mixed with hardner,gives a tough semi gloss finnish. since tate is away for a few weeks ,i'm in search of some answers.he was telling me i might want too consider doing this in areas that are either not seen or will need frequent spot touch up -ie eng bay /wheel area's etc.since this finnish has no clear ,and say i scratch it /chip it,is it true that i could redust the damaged area with a small air brush using the base/10 hardner and just blend it back in as if i was just adding another coat?? makes sence??sound like a great spot repare idea.
what do you think ? seames better than trying too base and reclear the damaged spot.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 09:42:30 PM by jim martin »

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline surgerypending

Paint Question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 10:51:07 AM »
Hi Jim,
What you are saying about adding the 10% hardener should work ok.
Consider this tho....base with hardener is slightly harder to organize the metalics when blending...so it could have a cloudy look!
Also, you say you would use an airbrush. Using a gun with a totally different tip size and spray pattern will make metalic and pearl colors look way different....but its only inners...might be ok.
Akzo Nobel has a paint line...Sikkens....they make a ready to spray clear that will give you that same look as what the factory does for inners and underhood colors. The product is in the Autobase line and is called Basefix...but hurry up...it's being deleted and replaced with another pruduct which does the same thing but i think is not as durable for that type of use!
Surgerypending!
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Paint Question
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 09:47:42 PM »
i will try a panel with the 3 differant size guns i have and compare finishes before i decided what finnish too use and where too use it.
thanks

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline ZineyBug

• http://
Paint Question
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 02:59:13 AM »
what i usally do is add sum clear that has been activated to my reduced base and you get a great matte finish...my dupont rep just told me about thier new matte finish clear not just an additive sounds pretty cool