Author Topic: Bus hunting, found a '68-'70. is it anyone's you know?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline flemcadiddlehopper

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Bus hunting, found a '68-'70. is it anyone's you know?
« on: April 24, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »
    I was told of a bus, by a reasonable source, that was like mine (a split).  The bus was said to be in upper Peachland area. When I went to investigate I found that it was in fact a early Bay window Camper.  I took one picture and headed on my way feeling somewhat let down by my source.
    Once I got back home and reviewed the pic, and posted the event on the Samba, I began to realize and be told that this was a good bus. It is after all a Dormobile Camper, which is not your run-of-the-mill Westy.  So I spent a bit of time doing the google maps thing and getting an address and calling who I thought was the owner.  It wasn't.

So before I go knocking on doors and ask one of you if I can have your bus....do any of you live in Peachland and own a '68-'70  Dormobile Bay Bus that you are currently fixing in the woods near a barn that looks like this?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433962&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=880

Gordo.   no not that Gordo, the other Gordo.
I once caught a fish this big.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: Bus hunting, found a '68-'70. is it anyone's you know?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:17:40 PM »
Early Bay Dorm's are one of my Fav Buses. Cool and practical Camper. Good find!

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 10:34:29 AM »
could be a Danbury too ya?
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 11:02:49 AM »
or a Hanover?
brian waz

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »
   Any way I look at it it could be cool.  But I have tried to adjust my Baydar to see if it's anyone's on this forum.  So from the responses I am guessing no.

I will head out there again this weekend and get some answers to put this to bed or put it in my carport.  Stay tuned as I am not sure what homecoming it will receive and it may be up for sale real quick. I don't even try to guess anymore.  What's the saying? it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.   Yup I'll go with that one.

Gordo. The other Gordo.

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 11:59:49 PM »
   Well I went to have another look and try to talk to someone. I had some luck.  I met the Mother of the owner. It is her son's Bus and it has been sitting for 16 years, and they would like it gone. I asked what his plans were for it, she replied that he lived in Taiwan and doesn't call very often. I asked her to mention my interest  regarding the bus in her next phone call with him and gave her my card to get in touch with me.  I also got her number to follow up in a short period.   I was able to poke around at the bus a bit more this time. not too bad. Interior is in fair to good condition and 3/4 complete. Body, top 3/4 good, bottom 3/4 is 3/4 good...rockers, out riggers and jack points rotted.   It almost looks like one of those bus finds that you see people driving home.

just doing the polite waiting game now I guess.      ...Unless, I get his email address......

Gordo.