Author Topic: Birth Certificate  (Read 4588 times)

Offline dustin

Birth Certificate
« on: October 27, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »
I just got the birth certificate for my '67 Beetle, and now I'm more confused than before. It shows it was a 1200 sedan built on August 12 of '66, in the first 2 weeks of '67 production, and shipped to Vancouver. It has M codes M 356 (Equipment for Canada), M 042 (Belgian market), M 051 (unidentified). I have searched The Samba and haven't found too much on Canadian Beetles, so I thought someone here might be the expert. There is no list of what "Equipment for Canada" really includes, and why would it be built for the Belgian market? Also, the car has the standard (roof only) headliner, no hazard switch, and early front fenders that I think are aftermarket. Would this mean that it came de-chromed originally, or did the Canadian market get quite different cars than the US? Also, from what I understand, it has always been 4 bolt but with drum front brakes. Before I got the birth certificate, I was starting to think it was a Euro, but now, I'm totally lost. Maybe it's as simple as it just being a standard? It had a "restoration" done about 20 years ago, a lot of the original parts are gone. Hopefully some of the guru's on here have some thoughts... Thanks. 

Offline pittwagen

Re: Birth Certificate
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:59:58 PM »
Here is a link to a 1967 beetle Canadian sales brochure from the Samba.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/67_bug_canadian.php

Big differences between the standard/custom model and the deluxe will be the engine - 1200 vs 1500, small center headliner and less chrome both inside and out.  Still had the exterior chrome side molding, just not around the front, back and rear windows as well as the running board.  There is a good pic of the standard/custom model in the brochure. 

Never owned a 67 but had a 65 standard.  Have had a 73 standard for almost 18 years.

Offline Mirko

• dude, where's my car?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:34:56 PM »
I owned a '70 Canadian standard and it had the 1200 with a swing axle trans, no hood chrome, but it had the side chrome. it also had the full headliner.
Was my first car :wub:, bone stock.... paid 2k in '87ish

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:14:38 PM »
A friend of mine bought a brand new 1970 1600 standard bug for under $2,000.  Volkswagen was getting a lot of competition from Datsun and Toyota and this beetle was advertised as the only 1600 engined car for under $2,000. - $1995 or something like that.  It came out late in the model year.  Can't remember when they switched over to the full headliner and with the 1600 it still had the swing axle. 

Offline dustin

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:08:18 AM »
Thanks guys! I think this puts me in a better place to start piecing everything back together. I probably have 20 hours into researching what this car originally came with, and there seems to be so little information specific to later 60's standards. Would it make sense to you that the car should have no chrome on the dash, painted vent windows, no chrome around the other windows, and the small headliner? There seems to be different opinions on the hood trim (it has it in the brochure) and the front grab handle on the dash (some say it was added in 65 I think) Other than that, it should have the plastic liner in the rear luggage compartment too I believe. I'm assuming now that the "Equipment for Canada" would be the chrome bumpers and trim that wasn't on the Customs in other countries as well as possibly a block heater and gas heater (no signs of that though), but I'm still not sure about the Belgian Market M-code. If any of this sounds incorrect, please let me know. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing back as close to stock as possible, so thanks a lot for all of the help!

Offline Bruce

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:55:23 AM »
The aux heater is mounted above the transmission.  Have a look for it.  If you find it, it won't work.  Don't bother trying to make it work, it's not possible.  They were junk, that's why VW went back to the heater up front in 69. 
There should be an indicator light added to the dash just above the speedo.

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:05:31 PM »
Not a DVKK.

I had one on my 66 Deluxe and one on the 68. No idea what to do with them but use to call them "The continuum transfunctioner" :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 05:36:24 PM by egspot »

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »
I don't ever recall seeing a booster heater on a pre-68 standard beetle, at least in this market.  The booster heater started with the 66 Deluxe and I'm pretty sure was a Deluxe only item. 

Gas heaters for standards were Eberspacher B2's installed in the trunk by the dealer - about $200 if I recall.   Oil sump heaters were also dealer installed.  Grab handles were a Deluxe only item until at least 67.  No chrome on the dash.  Does your 67 have a gas gauge.  My 65 did not.  Yours should have had the hood trim.

You might want to check with Clarkdale VW.  They are about the only dealer that is still around since the 60's that may have some early info.  Speedway VW in Victoria is another.  All the others are newer or have changed hands many time over and I doubt there is any continuity of info remaining.  Could be wrong.  There is also a fellow by the name of Wally that used to operate VM Autohaus in Burnaby.  Haven't spoken to him for a few years.  He was a long time parts manager at Volkswagen Pacific.  He may have retired but it's worth a call.  He would know or know where to find the info.

The info is out there and there are a few of us around that actually owned them back in the 60's.

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
I don't ever recall seeing a booster heater on a pre-68 standard beetle, at least in this market.  The booster heater started with the 66 Deluxe and I'm pretty sure was a Deluxe only item. 

The info is out there and there are a few of us around that actually owned them back in the 60's.

thank my 66 was a Deluxe,

Offline dustin

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 05:46:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies! In The Samba link a few posts back, does it look like the red custom has 4 bolt wheels under those caps? That's what mine has, but I know
67 should be 5 bolt. Also, I have heard some people say that customs only had one horn grill on the front fenders, though I have only ever seen two. Does this right to anyone?

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 06:43:49 PM »
Euro 67 were 4 bolt

Offline Bruce

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 09:20:25 PM »
Euro 67 were 4 bolt
Only those with 1500cc engines.  1200cc cars got the old pattern still.

Offline Trevor P

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 11:19:50 AM »
Canadian Customs had 2 horn grilles and chrome trim on the hood, it was the Euro Standads that only had the one grille.
Keep in mind that the birth certificates do contain errors from time to time. The one for my '57 states an optional heated rear window wtf and the one for my '69 said it was delivered to Columbia with a gas heater! ???
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline Bruce

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 04:42:04 PM »
That's right Trevor.  I heard of one guy who's convertible had a sunroof!

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 05:51:30 PM »
Oh, and the literature and brochures are not always right either.  I have this one for my 73 Standard but the seat backs are not 73 - one year only round top.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/73bug_sheet.php

I still think the best source is seeing if one of the long time dealerships would let you prowl around their dusty archives. 

I dabble in old Dodges as well and my local 5 star dealer has all the old manuals etc.  Periodically a question will arise and they are pretty good about digging out the old books.

Keep digging!!

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 05:52:26 PM »
Check the fellow out at VM Autohaus as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 05:56:12 PM by pittwagen »

Offline Bruce

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 10:49:31 PM »
Oh, and the literature and brochures are not always right either.  I have this one for my 73 Standard but the seat backs are not 73 - one year only round top.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/73bug_sheet.php
That pic is of a 72.  Note the vent trims beside the rear window on the inside.  72 only type.

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 11:10:35 PM »
Right.  But VW published that brochure as a 73.  I have it. 

The point I was making was that the literature was not always correct either so one needs to dig down into the old records and info at the dealer to get a better handle on the details of specific years and models.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 12:04:44 AM »
Better than that, you should see the brochure for a 73 Super.  In the photo, you can see the VW logo on the front hood, just ahead of the window.  Not one single curved window Super was built in production with the logo.

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »
Good eye.  I just had to go and dig out that brochure.  Sure enough and on the last page or so with the yellow standard, it looks like it has the logo on the hood as well.  Not on my 73 standard.  I guess the promo folks get way ahead of the production line. 

Tough when you are trying to research what should have been!!