Author Topic: Update #16  (Read 6705 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Update #16
« on: December 12, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »
I have been busy all over the car these past few weeks. I'll keep this as short as possible as I have taken a bunch of pic's but will try and limit it to just a few.

The first shot is the glovebox. Since instaling the dash I have started to collect a few parts to complete it. I searched around and found good used gloveboxes to be in the $300pr range! For this car it's not a big deal if their not correct so off to the metal store for some aluminum. I made a cardboard template and built something close to original but a little cooler. They turned out not to bad for a first atempt.

Next it was onto the rear seat area. I'm useing a Ghia seat as it's close to the orig Heb rear seat. The back rest needed to be narrowed a few inches as well as have the height cut down a little(this allows the roof to fold down out of the way)

Here is a shot of the rear 1/4, You may not be able to tell but a lot of work went into this area. The door panel area has been sheeted over a box was made to enclose the crotch coolers and then a frame made to enclose that as a arm rest.  The latter being made of wood so it can be unscrewed to access the coolers.

here is a orig rear area. I built my arm rests a little higher to hide the air boxes.

Here is the inner frame area.

Next it was onto making the rear seat fold and work. Shown below you can now see the 10gal gas tank in place.

The tank starteed out as a end fill, I needed it to be a center fill. I cut off the filler neck and made a pc to be welded on to allow a electrical fuel sender to be installed. Thanks to Darren (Doubledoor) for his alum welding skills.

The center fill tube was also added at this time and now connects to the alum vintage filler on the rear cowel.

Thanks to Chris aka Rustybus for the two old deck lids. I cut both up for the use of the inner lower panel.
Here you can see it removed, I welded it into the rear lid and then welded the T handel portion in place.

The "T" handle was then modified to a "L" handle. It now sat as a normal T would side to side so I cut the inner stud on the back and rotated it 90' so it now sits in the corect vertical position.

Now that the car is a vert I needed some way to lock the hood. I didn't want to do the reg vert lock pull so I went with something a little different.
I added another rear section to the front and used another style hood handle to open it.

You can see in this pic where the round horn grills will go (anyone have any for sale?)

Next update coming soon!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 03:59:18 PM by Geoff »