Author Topic: What's New Guys?  (Read 4695 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
What's New Guys?
« on: June 29, 2003, 01:21:22 PM »
sound off!

just wondering if any of you did anything to your cars over the winter and what it is you did. i have heard rumours of terry hoogstins (sp?) rank ass race motor in an oval. alan u's fire breathing darren k built 2332. jim coma's turbo. who else? what else? any newly finished projects? any predictions for quickest down the 1/4? i smell a high 11. dont know by who, but i would think darren k. or terry.

for the record, my 56 rag has been uninsured for the winter and i have done sweet piss all to it. blahhh!!.

except i bought a sweet set of porsche fuchs off geoff @ airspeed (thanks buddy), i finally got a garage to store and work on my baby (my car not my g-friend), i got a computer so i've been trying to source parts for my car and i've aquired the odd cool vintage speed part.

lets hear it. whats up with the air cooled?

cheers

silas.

ps. sorry for the long post. and this local a/c vw forum is the best thing since straight cuts and the smell of race gas in the morning.

Offline dannyboy

What's New Guys?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 02:42:08 PM »
ive been collecting parts for a rank little 2275 that i hope to be debuting at the gcvws.
-dan

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
What's New Guys?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 07:45:09 PM »
Dan's motor will be a beast!!! Cant wait to hear the whine of the straight cuts.

This winter i had Darren put together my new 2275cc motor (same parts as last year just diff cam and rod length) The cam is a little larger and comes on strong at 5000rpm and pulls upwards of 8000 rpm :D

The last motor only pulled to 7000 so this feels like it has a little more umpff to it, but i cant tell as i also added 70lbs with a roll bar and have yet to get to the track....July 11th Mission!

Allan may not have his car out until Aug due to the motor ate the lifters.

Darren has a few new mods and should run strong.

Keep a eye on Gavin Lee's 56 beetle. 2275cc IDA's healthy compresion and a killer cam. I took it for a spin after doing some tuning with him and belive me if this thing gets traction it should run a low 12.

Brad P, has also done some very cool mods to his car but you'll have to wait to see them. When you see the car take a look at the one off front suspension.

Mirko has also stepped up this year with a new close ratio trans, IDA's slicks and more.

Should be a fun few months.

Offline Andrew Holliday

• Andrew Holliday Photography
What's New Guys?
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 10:44:41 PM »
SWEET, this year is going to be sweet, can't wait to see the bugs show everyone what Aircooled VW's are all about at Mission!!!! i'm gettting all giddy just waiting to see them. As for my future mods, well, i need a VW first! As for now, i don't think I am going to bother tinkerin' with my 82 Tercel!

Will Mirko be runnin at Mission July 11th, or has his bug fully recovered from the incident at Mission last year yet?

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
What's New Guys?
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 11:25:32 PM »
hey dannyboy, what kind of car are you putting that motor in?

Offline 66split

What's New Guys?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 08:33:27 AM »
well....my bus is being customized.  Should be done in a week or two.
naming a car is gay...really gay.

Stephan Schmidt

What's New Guys?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 08:38:22 AM »
Dan's motor will be a beast!!! Cant wait to hear the whine of the straight cuts.

This winter i had Darren put together my new 2275cc motor (same parts as last year just diff cam and rod length) The cam is a little larger and comes on strong at 5000rpm and pulls upwards of 8000 rpm :D

The last motor only pulled to 7000 so this feels like it has a little more umpff to it, but i cant tell as i also added 70lbs with a roll bar and have yet to get to the track....July 11th Mission!

Allan may not have his car out until Aug due to the motor ate the lifters.

Darren has a few new mods and should run strong.

Keep a eye on Gavin Lee's 56 beetle. 2275cc IDA's healthy compresion and a killer cam. I took it for a spin after doing some tuning with him and belive me if this thing gets traction it should run a low 12.

Brad P, has also done some very cool mods to his car but you'll have to wait to see them. When you see the car take a look at the one off front suspension.

Mirko has also stepped up this year with a new close ratio trans, IDA's slicks and more.

Should be a fun few months.
WOW WOW WOW...I wish I had money    :wacko:

Good luck to all you guys...it sure will be fun!

Offline Geoff

What's New Guys?
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 09:35:28 AM »
Mirko's car should be there July 11th. I took him for a ride in the oval thru Vancouver, down Robson st and the area. Had a few good bursts up to 7500rpm, I think he spent the rest of the weekend wrenching on his car.

Offline Andrew Holliday

• Andrew Holliday Photography
What's New Guys?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 10:08:14 AM »
Nice, maybe you can give me a ride and it will make me buy a beetle!!!! ;)  :D  

Offline 66split

What's New Guys?
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 12:23:13 PM »
i think geoff should charge for rides at the great canadian show...sign me up geoff!!!!   rick
naming a car is gay...really gay.

Offline Bloke

• http://www.cardomain.com/profile/blokeswagen
What's New Guys?
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2003, 03:20:27 PM »
Hey Guys, my name is Rob, I live over in Thunder Bay On.  Just thought I'd chime in and say Hi and tell you what is new for me.  Just finishing up my IDA fed 2275, I had this motor built 3 years ago had it out for a year then it dropped a valve.  So now I'm rebuilding it myself (learning as I go), just about ready to rock.  I got the heads rebuilt and installed some Manley valves (44x37.5), they already had a really nice P&P job done on them and K-motion springs.  I bought some new scat H-beam rods (3/8\" bolts) and a Web-Cam 86c, with new lifters reground by SLR.  Just waiting for the bearings and I'll start buttoning it back up.  I'm hopeing for some low 13's or high 12's, but only time will tell as I never got it to the track last time.  Hopefully I'll get over there soon, sure wuld be nice to cruise with some other fast VWs instead of all the Mustangs and cr@p here.  Take care.  Rob
Rob

The guy over in Thunder Bay.

1962 Cal-Look Bug
1975 project Bug

Offline James Buchan

What's New Guys?
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 03:39:55 PM »
New for me is a high CR non stroker (1915) fed by IDA's. I am taking everything non essential out of the car to reduce the weight (my wife better watch it she may become non-essential hehe) I am making alot of the parts myself ( I love working at a place with a full machine shop )including breather system, custom aluminium and stainless dress up pieces etc...

Offline dannyboy

What's New Guys?
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2003, 03:45:05 PM »
hey silas, that motor is going in my daily driven 63 rag sedan, for now its got a stock tranny, but when i get the cash it will be replaced with a tight close ratio tranny....should be fun..  :D
-dan

Offline Geoff

What's New Guys?
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2003, 03:53:58 PM »
Bloke, Please look at the stamping on your 86c, if it says ES12 i would use the Web lifters so you will have a warrenty. I have seen too many cams eat the lifters, are the SLR lifters reground Scats? If so they will work fine.

Offline AlanU

• http://members.shaw.ca/acvw/index.htm
What's New Guys?
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2003, 03:58:47 PM »
Well hopefully I'll make it out to the GCVW show this year.  Due to a hungry camshaft I'm out.  I'll be running a slightly modified existing CB cam and Pat Down's special reground Scat lifter.  My engine case is getting rebushed with a brass sleeve at VW Performance in Pheonix.  If I'm lucky I'll get my parts in two weeks then I'll be busy as hell.  I'll be mounting my new M&H slicks this week just to remind me how I'll have to get my butt in gear. Also I'll be putting in some new Vents from Art Thraen into my IDA's.

To add more complications my girlfriend and I just bought a 1yr old house and I'm movin at the end of july. What a summer this is turning out to be.   :wacko:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2003, 04:00:57 PM by AlanU »

Offline Bloke

What's New Guys?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2003, 08:34:49 PM »
Bloke, Please look at the stamping on your 86c, if it says ES12 i would use the Web lifters so you will have a warrenty. I have seen too many cams eat the lifters, are the SLR lifters reground Scats? If so they will work fine.
Yeah Geoff it has ES 12 stamped on the end, along with 86c.  The lifters are new Scat Lube-A-Lobe regrinds, will this be okay with my combo???  Thanks for the help, I'm on my own here, so I can't go anywhere to get answers.  Everybody here thinks I'm nuts and says this thing will never run 12s, I'll show em.  Take Care, Bloke.
Rob

1962 Cal-Look Bug
1975 project Bug

Offline Geoff

What's New Guys?
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2003, 08:38:06 PM »
Bloke, Yes you have the correct lifters for that cam. I see too many cams eat lifters when the correct parts are not used. The ES12 is the flame hardened cam blank and will eat most lifters in minutes. The ones you have will work well. Before break in be sure to add some GM EOS to the oil, if you need some we sell it at the shop.
Cheers.

Offline Tom H.

• http://home.att.net/~drsowatt/index.html
What's New Guys?
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2003, 08:38:48 PM »
The bus box clears the split's package tray  :D  

Offline Bloke

What's New Guys?
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2003, 08:48:23 PM »
Thanks for the help Geoff, that is good to know!!!  I'll keep in touch and let you know how it goes.  Thanks, Bloke
Rob

1962 Cal-Look Bug
1975 project Bug